Fake notes at ATM booths: What to do
|IDENTIFY FAKE NOTE|
While there has not been any definite proof, we have heard of some claims of ATM booths issuing counterfeit money. But the problem with booths is that without a bank official present, it might be difficult to get reimbursed if one does end up with one.
To be on the safe side, follow the safety precautions below
- Withdraw money from ATM banks in small amounts. So if you do end up with a counterfeit and have no possibility of being reimbursed, you can be consoled that the amount lost is not big.
- Stay informed. It is necessary to learn how to identify fake currency. Bangladesh Bank has an informative video clip on this.
- After withdrawing money, check the notes to see if any of them are counterfeits. Preserve the transaction slips issued by the ATM for future reference.
- If you do end up with a counterfeit note, do not leave the ATM premises. Every ATM booth has the phone numbers of the banks. Call them immediately.
- As a safety precaution, hold up the fake note to the CCTV installed in the booth in a way that the number on the note and your face is visible for future reference.
- If avoidable, skip ATM booths and pay with card or withdraw money from the banks.